SparkListener offers good stuffs.
But I also completed it with another metrics stuffs on my own that use Akka
to aggregate metrics from anywhere I'd like to collect them (without any
deps on ganglia yet on Codahale).
However, this was useful to gather some custom metrics (from within the
tasks then) not really to collect overall monitoring information about the
spark thingies themselves.
For that Spark UI offers already a pretty good insight no?

Cheers,

 aℕdy ℙetrella
about.me/noootsab
[image: aℕdy ℙetrella on about.me]