If I don't understand you wrong, setting event logging in the SPARK_JAVA_OPTS
should achieve what you want. I'm logging to the HDFS, but according to the
config page <http://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/configuration.html>   a
folder should be possible as well.

Example with all other settings removed:

SPARK_JAVA_OPTS="-Dspark.eventLog.enabled=true
-Dspark.eventLog.dir=hdfs://idp11:9100/user/myname/logs/"

This works with the Spark shell, I haven't tested other applications though.

Note that the completed applications will disappear from the list if you
restart Spark completely, even though they'll still be stored in the log
folder.

Best regards,
Simon