From: salemi [mailto:alireza.sal...@udo.edu]
Sent: Friday, August 15, 2014 11:25 AM
To: u...@spark.incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: spark streaming - lamda architecture

below is what is what I understand under lambda architecture. The batch layer
provides the historical data and the speed layer provides the real-time view!

All data entering the system is dispatched to both the batch layer and the
speed layer for processing.
The batch layer has two functions:
(i) managing the master dataset (an immutable, append-only set of raw data), and
(ii) to pre-compute the batch views.

The speed layer compensates for the high latency of updates to the serving
layer and deals with recent data only.

The serving layer indexes the batch views so that they can be queried in
low-latency, ad-hoc way.

Any incoming query can be answered by merging results from batch views and
real-time views.

In my system I have events coming in from Kafka sources and currently we need
to process 10,000 messages per second and write them out to hdfs and make them
available to be queried by a serving layer.

What would be your suggestion to architecturally solve this issue? How many
solution with which would approx. be needed for the proposed architecture.

Thanks,
Ali

Tathagata Das wrote