Dependency hell... My fav problem :).

I had run into a similar issue with hbase and jetty. I cant remember thw
exact fix, but is are excerpts from my dependencies that may be relevant:

val hadoop2Common = "org.apache.hadoop" % "hadoop-common" % hadoop2Version
excludeAll(

                        ExclusionRule(organization = "javax.servlet"),

                        ExclusionRule(organization = "javax.servlet.jsp"),

ExclusionRule(organization = "org.mortbay.jetty")

                       )

  val hadoop2MapRedClient = "org.apache.hadoop" %
"hadoop-mapreduce-client-core" % hadoop2Version

  val hbase = "org.apache.hbase" % "hbase" % hbaseVersion excludeAll(

                ExclusionRule(organization = "org.apache.maven.wagon"),

                ExclusionRule(organization = "org.jboss.netty"),

ExclusionRule(organization = "org.mortbay.jetty"),

                ExclusionRule(organization = "org.jruby") // Don't need
HBASE's jruby. It pulls in whole lot of other dependencies like joda-time.

    )

val sparkCore = "org.apache.spark" %% "spark-core" % sparkVersion

  val sparkStreaming = "org.apache.spark" %% "spark-streaming" %
sparkVersion

  val sparkSQL = "org.apache.spark" %% "spark-sql" % sparkVersion

  val sparkHive = "org.apache.spark" %% "spark-hive" % sparkVersion

  val sparkRepl = "org.apache.spark" %% "spark-repl" % sparkVersion

  val sparkAll = Seq (

    sparkCore excludeAll(

      ExclusionRule(organization = "org.apache.hadoop")), // We assume
hadoop 2 and hence omit hadoop 1 dependencies

    sparkSQL,

    sparkStreaming,

    hadoop2MapRedClient,

    hadoop2Common,

    "org.mortbay.jetty" % "servlet-api" % "3.0.20100224"

  )