Hi folks,

I interrupt your regularly scheduled user / dev list to bring you some pretty
cool news for the project, which is that we've been able to use Spark to break
MapReduce's 100 TB and 1 PB sort records, sorting data 3x faster on 10x fewer
nodes. There's a detailed writeup at
http://databricks.com/blog/2014/10/10/spark-breaks-previous-large-scale-sort-record.html.
sorting 100 TB in 72 minutes on 2100 nodes, we sorted it in 23 minutes on 206
nodes; and we also scaled up to sort 1 PB in 234 minutes.

I want to thank Reynold Xin for leading this effort over the past few weeks,
along with Parviz Deyhim, Xiangrui Meng, Aaron Davidson and Ali Ghodsi. In
addition, we'd really like to thank Amazon's EC2 team for providing the
machines to make this possible. Finally, this result would of course not be
possible without the many many other contributions, testing and feature
requests from throughout the community.

For an engine to scale from these multi-hour petabyte batch jobs down to
100-millisecond streaming and interactive queries is quite uncommon, and it's
thanks to all of you folks that we are able to make this happen.

Matei