The biggest scaling issue was supporting a large number of reduce tasks
efficiently, which the JIRAs in that post handle. In particular, our current
default shuffle (the hash-based one) has each map task open a separate file
output stream for each reduce task, which wastes a lot of memory (since each
stream has its own buffer).

A second thing that helped efficiency tremendously was Reynold's new network
module (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-2468). Doing I/O on 32
cores, 10 Gbps Ethernet and 8+ disks efficiently is not easy, as can be seen
when you try to scale up other software.

Finally, with 30,000 tasks even sending info about every map's output size to
each reducer was a problem, so Reynold has a patch that avoids that if the
number of tasks is large.

Matei