I started building Spark / running Spark tests this weekend and on maybe
5-10 occasions have run into a compiler crash while compiling
DataTypeConversions.scala.

Here <https://gist.github.com/ryan-williams/7673d7da928570907f4d> is a full
gist of an innocuous test command (mvn test -Dsuites='*KafkaStreamSuite')
exhibiting this behavior. Problem starts on L512
<https://gist.github.com/ryan-williams/7673d7da928570907f4d#file-stdout-L512>
and there’s a final stack trace at the bottom
<https://gist.github.com/ryan-williams/7673d7da928570907f4d#file-stdout-L671>
.

mvn clean or ./sbt/sbt clean “fix” it (I believe I’ve observed the issue
while compiling with each tool), but are annoying/time-consuming to do,
obvs, and it’s happening pretty frequently for me when doing only small
numbers of incremental compiles punctuated by e.g. checking out different
git commits.

Have other people seen this? This post
<http://apache-spark-user-list.1001560.n3.nabble.com/spark-github-source-build-error-td10532.html>
on this list is basically the same error, but in TestSQLContext.scala and this
SO post
<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/25211071/compilation-errors-in-spark-datatypeconversions-scala-on-intellij-when-using-m>
claims to be hitting it when trying to build in intellij.

It seems likely to be a bug in scalac; would finding a consistent repro
case and filing it somewhere be useful?
​