So, as said there, static partitioning is used in "Spark’s standalone and
YARN modes, as well as the coarse-grained Mesos mode".
That leaves us only with Mesos, where there is *dynamic sharing* of CPU
cores.

It says "when the application is not running tasks on a machine, other
applications may run tasks on those cores".
But my applications are short lived (seconds to minutes), and they read a
large dataset, process it, and write the results. They are also IO-bound,
meaning most of the time is spent reading input data (from S3) and writing
the results back.

Is it possible to divide the resources between them, according to how many
are trying to run at the same time?
So for example if I have 12 cores - if one job is scheduled, it will get 12
cores, but if 3 are scheduled, then each one will get 4 cores and then will
all start.

Thanks!

*Romi Kuntsman*, *Big Data Engineer*
 http://www.totango.com