Yes, I am using Spark1.1.0 and have used rdd.registerTempTable().
I tried by adding sqlContext.cacheTable(), but it took 59 seconds (more than
earlier).

I also tried by changing schema to use Long data type in some fields but
seems conversion takes more time.
Is there any way to specify index ?  Though I checked and didn't found any,
just want to confirm.

For your reference here is the snippet of code.

case class EventDataTbl(EventUID: Long,
                ONum: Long,
                RNum: Long,
                Timestamp: java.sql.Timestamp,
                Duration: String,
                Type: String,
                Source: String,
                OName: String,
                RName: String)

                val format = new java.text.SimpleDateFormat("yyyy-MM-dd
hh:mm:ss")
                val cedFileName =
"hdfs://hadoophost:8020/demo/poc/JoinCsv/output_2"
                val cedRdd = sc.textFile(cedFileName).map(_.split(",",
-1)).map(p =>
EventDataTbl(p(0).toLong, p(1).toLong, p(2).toLong, new
java.sql.Timestamp(format.parse(p(3)).getTime()), p(4), p(5), p(6), p(7),
p(8)))

                cedRdd.registerTempTable("EventDataTbl")
                sqlCntxt.cacheTable("EventDataTbl")

                val t1 = System.nanoTime()
                println("\n\n10 Most frequent conversations between the
Originators and
Recipients\n")
                sql("SELECT COUNT(*) AS Frequency,ONum,OName,RNum,RName FROM
EventDataTbl
GROUP BY ONum,OName,RNum,RName ORDER BY Frequency DESC LIMIT
10").collect().foreach(println)
                val t2 = System.nanoTime()
                println("Time taken " + (t2-t1)/1000000000.0 + " Seconds")