although this helped to improve it significantly I still run into this problem
despite increasing the spark.yarn.executor.memoryOverhead vastly:
export SPARK_EXECUTOR_MEMORY=24Gspark.yarn.executor.memoryOverhead=6144

yet getting this:2015-01-17 04:47:40,389 WARN
org.apache.hadoop.yarn.server.nodemanager.containermanager.monitor.ContainersMonitorImpl:
 Container [pid=30211,containerID=container_1421451766649_0002_01_115969] is
running beyond physical memory limits. Current usage: 30.1 GB of 30 GB physical
memory used; 33.0 GB of 63.0 GB virtual memory used. Killing container.
is there anything more I can do?
thanks,Antony.