From: nicholas.cham...@gmail.com
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2015 02:55:33 +0000
Subject: Re: Discourse: A proposed alternative to the Spark User list
To: petar.zece...@gmail.com; user@spark.apache.org

I think a few things need to be laid out clearly:

This mailing list is the “official” user discussion platform. That is, it is
sponsored and managed by the ASF.
Users are free to organize independent discussion platforms focusing on Spark,
and there is already one such platform in Stack Overflow under the apache-spark
and related tags. Stack Overflow works quite well.
The ASF will not agree to deprecating or migrating this user list to a platform
that they do not control.
This mailing list has grown to an unwieldy size and discussions are hard to
find or follow; discussion tooling is also lacking. We want to improve the
utility and user experience of this mailing list.
We don’t want to fragment this “official” discussion community.
Nabble is an independent product not affiliated with the ASF. It offers a
slightly better interface to the Apache mailing list archives.

So to respond to some of your points, pzecevic:

Apache user group could be frozen (not accepting new questions, if that’s
possible) and redirect users to Stack Overflow (automatic reply?).

From what I understand of the ASF’s policies, this is not possible. :( This
mailing list must remain the official Spark user discussion platform.

Other thing, about new Stack Exchange site I proposed earlier. If a new site is
created, there is no problem with guidelines, I think, because Spark community
can apply different guidelines for the new site.

I think Stack Overflow and the various Spark tags are working fine. I don’t see
a compelling need for a Stack Exchange dedicated to Spark, either now or in the
near future. Also, I doubt a Spark-specific site can pass the 4 tests in the
Area 51 FAQ:

Almost all Spark questions are on-topic for Stack Overflow
Stack Overflow already exists, it already has a tag for Spark, and nobody is
complaining
You’re not creating such a big group that you don’t have enough experts to
answer all possible questions
There’s a high probability that users of Stack Overflow would enjoy seeing the
occasional question about Spark

I think complaining won’t be sufficient. :)

Someone expressed a concern that they won’t allow creating a project-specific
site, but there already exist some project-specific sites, like Tor, Drupal,
Ubuntu…

The communities for these projects are many, many times larger than the Spark
community is or likely ever will be, simply due to the nature of the problems
they are solving.
What we need is an improvement to this mailing list. We need better tooling
than Nabble to sit on top of the Apache archives, and we also need some way to
control the volume and quality of mail on the list so that it remains a useful
resource for the majority of users.
Nick
​