Hi,
I tried to find the last reply by Nick Chammas (that I received in the
digest) using the Nabble web interface, but I cannot find it (perhaps he
didn't reply directly to the user list?). That's one example of Nabble's
usability.

Anyhow, I wanted to add my two cents...

Apache user group could be frozen (not accepting new questions, if that's
possible) and redirect users to Stack Overflow (automatic reply?). Old
questions remain (and are searchable) on Nabble, new questions go to Stack
Exchange, so no need for migration. That's the idea, at least, as I'm not
sure if that's technically doable... Is it?
dev mailing list could perhaps stay on Nabble (it's not that busy), or have
a special tag on Stack Exchange.

Other thing, about new Stack Exchange site I proposed earlier. If a new site
is created, there is no problem with guidelines, I think, because Spark
community can apply different guidelines for the new site.

There is a FAQ about creating new sites: http://area51.stackexchange.com/faq
It says: "Stack Exchange sites are free to create and free to use. All we
ask is that you have an enthusiastic, committed group of expert users who
check in regularly, asking and answering questions."
I think this requirement is satisfied...
Someone expressed a concern that they won't allow creating a
project-specific site, but there already exist some project-specific sites,
like Tor, Drupal, Ubuntu...

Later, though, the FAQ also says:
"If Y already exists, it already has a tag for X, and nobody is complaining"
(then you should not create a new site). But we could complain :)

The advantage of having a separate site is that users, who should have more
privileges, would need to earn them through Spark questions and answers
only. The other thing, already mentioned, is that the community could create
Spark specific guidelines. There are also  'meta' sites for asking questions
like this one, etc.

There is a process for starting a site - it's not instantaneous. New site
needs to go through private beta and public beta, so that could be a
drawback.

Like btiernay, I must say: there might be something about Apache projects
and mailing lists that I do not know, so excuse me if that is the case...