Sorry, but I think there’s a disconnect.

When you launch a job under YARN on any of the hadoop clusters, the number of
mappers/reducers is not set and is dependent on the amount of available
resources.
So under Ambari, CM, or MapR’s Admin, you should be able to specify the amount
of resources available on any node which is to be allocated to YARN’s RM.
So if your node has 32GB allocated, you can run N jobs concurrently based on
the amount of resources you request when you submit your application.

If you have 64GB allocated, you can run up to 2N jobs concurrently based on the
same memory constraints.

In terms of job scheduling, where and when a job can run is going to be based
on available resources.  So if you want to run a job that needs 16GB of
resources, and all of your nodes are busy and only have 4GB per node available
to YARN, your 16GB job will wait until there is at least that much resources
available.

To your point, if you say you need 4GB per task, then it must be the same per
task for that job. The larger the cluster node, in this case memory, the more
jobs you can run.

This is of course assuming you could over subscribe a node in terms of cpu
cores if you have memory available.

YMMV

HTH
-Mike