This should help you understand the cost of running a Spark cluster for a
short period of time:

http://www.ec2instances.info/

If you run an instance for even 1 second of a single hour you are charged
for that complete hour. So before you shut down your miniature cluster make
sure you really are done with what you want to do, as firing up the cluster
again will be like using an extra hour's worth of time.

The purpose of EC2's free tier is to get you to purchase into AWS services.
At the free level its not terribly useful except for the most simplest of
web applications (which you could host on Heroku - also uses AWS - for
free) or simple long running but largely dormant shell processes.