Hi Cody,

Thanks for the reply. Yea, we thought of possibly doing this in a UDX in
Vertica somehow to get the lower level co-operation but its a bit daunting.
We want to do this because there are things we want to do with the
result-set in Spark that are not possible in Vertica. The DStream receiver
is a good thought.

I think right now, we are learning towards eric's suggestion -- where we
run the big query once somewhere (getPartitions maybe) in Vertica and dumps
into a temporary table with an additional generated partition_key field.
Then we have the workers issue N "select * from temp-table where
partition_key = ?" queries that are hopefully lightweight. The temporary
table we are hoping will just clean itself up so we don't need to handle
that mess. It seems like the most sane approach today ;]