Hi David,

W00t indeed and great questions. On the notebook front, there are two
options depending on what you are looking for. You can either go with
iPython 3 with Spark-kernel as a backend or you can use spark-notebook.
Both have interesting tradeoffs.

If you have looking for a single notebook platform for your data scientists
that has R, Python as well as a Spark Shell, you'll likely want to go with
iPython + Spark-kernel. Downsides with the spark-kernel project are that
data visualization isn't quite there yet, early days for documentation and
blogs/etc. Upside is that R and Python work beautifully and that the
ipython committers are super-helpful.

If you are OK with a primarily spark/scala experience, then I suggest you
with spark-notebook. Upsides are that the project is a little further
along, visualization support is better than spark-kernel (though not as
good as iPython with Python) and the committer is awesome with help.
Downside is that you won't get R and Python.

FWIW: I'm using both at the moment!

Hope that helps.

*Irfan Ahmad*
CTO | Co-Founder | *CloudPhysics* <http://www.cloudphysics.com>