Scala is the language used to write Spark so there's never a situation in
which features introduced in a newer version of Spark cannot be taken
advantage of if you write your code in Scala. (This is mostly true of Java,
but it may be a little more legwork if a Java-friendly adapter isn't
available alongside new features.)

Scala is also OO; its a functional hybrid OO language.

Although much of my organization's codebase is written in Java and we've
recently transitioned to Java 8 I still write all of my Spark code using
Scala. (I also squeeze in Scala where I can in other parts of the
organization.) Additionally I use both Python and R for local data
analysis, though I haven't used Python with Spark in production.