The stack trace for the first scenario and your suggested improvement is
similar, with as only difference the first line (Sorry for not including
this):
"Log directory /home/hduser/spark/spark-events does not exist."

To verify your premises, I cd'ed into the directory by copy pasting the
path listed in the error message (i, ii), created a text file, closed it an
viewed it, and deleted it (iii). My findings were reconfirmed by my
colleague. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Tom