Following your suggestion, I end up with the following implementation :

*override def transform(dataSet: DataFrame, paramMap: ParamMap):
DataFrame = {  val schema = transformSchema(dataSet.schema, paramMap,
logging = true)  val map = this.paramMap ++ paramMap*

*val features = dataSet.select(map(inputCol)).mapPartitions { rows =>
  Caffe.set_mode(Caffe.CPU)    val net =
CaffeUtils.floatTestNetwork(SparkFiles.get(topology),
SparkFiles.get(weight))    val inputBlobs: FloatBlobVector =
net.input_blobs()    val N: Int = 1    val K: Int =
inputBlobs.get(0).channels()    val H: Int =
inputBlobs.get(0).height()    val W: Int = inputBlobs.get(0).width()
 inputBlobs.get(0).Reshape(N, K, H, W)    val dataBlob = new
FloatPointer(N*K*W*H)*
    val inputCPUData = inputBlobs.get(0).mutable_cpu_data()

    val feat = rows.map { case Row(a: Iterable[Float])=>
      dataBlob.put(a.toArray, 0, a.size)
      caffe_copy_float(N*K*W*H, dataBlob, inputCPUData)
      val resultBlobs: FloatBlobVector = net.ForwardPrefilled()

*      val resultDim = resultBlobs.get(0).channels()
logInfo(s"Output dimension $resultDim")      val resultBlobData =
resultBlobs.get(0).cpu_data()      val output = new
Array[Float](resultDim)      resultBlobData.get(output)
Vectors.dense(output.map(_.toDouble))    }    //net.deallocate()
feat  }  val newRowData = dataSet.rdd.zip(features).map { case (old,
feat)=>    val oldSeq = old.toSeq      Row.fromSeq(oldSeq :+ feat)  }
dataSet.sqlContext.createDataFrame(newRowData, schema)}*

The idea is to mapPartitions of the underlying RDD of the DataFrame and
create a new DataFrame by zipping the results. It seems to work but when I
try to save the RDD I got the following error :

org.apache.spark.mllib.linalg.DenseVector cannot be cast to
org.apache.spark.sql.Row