I am trying to use Spark 1.3 (Standalone) against Hive 1.2 running on
Hadoop 2.6.
I looked the ThriftServer2 logs, and I realized that the server was not
starting properly, because of failure in creating a server socket. In fact,
I had passed the URI to my Hiveserver2 service, launched from Hive, and the
beeline in Spark was directly talking to Hive's hiveserver2 and it was just
using it as a Hive service.

I could fix starting the Thriftserver2 in Spark (by changing port), but I
guess the missing puzzle piece for me is: How does Spark SQL re-uses the
already created table in Hive ? I mean do I have to write an application
that uses HiveContext to do that and submit it to Spark for execution, or
is there a way to run SQL scripts directly via command line (in distributed
mode and on the cluster) - (Just similar to the way that one would use Hive
(or Shark) command line by passing a query file with -f flag). Looking at
the Spark SQL documentation, it seems that it is possible. Please correct
me if I am wrong.