If this is research-only, and you don't want to have to worry about updating
the jars installed by default on the cluster, you can add your custom Spark jar
using the "spark.driver.extraLibraryPath" configuration property when running
spark-submit, and then use the experimental " spark.driver.userClassPathFirst"
config to force it to use yours.

See here for more details and options:
https://spark.apache.org/docs/1.4.0/configuration.html