>not being able to read from Kafka using multiple nodes

Kafka is plenty capable of doing this,  by clustering together multiple
consumer instances into a consumer group.
If your topic is sufficiently partitioned, the consumer group can consume
the topic in a parallelized fashion.
If it isn't, you still have the fault tolerance associated with clustering
the consumers.

OK
JRP
On Jun 17, 2015 1:27 AM, "Enno Shioji" <eshi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> state because it does so by dumping the entire state on every checkpointing)
>
> There are also some minor drawbacks that I'm sure will be fixed quickly,
> like no task timeout, not being able to read from Kafka using multiple
> nodes, data loss hazard with Kafka.
>
> It's also not possible to attain very low latency in Spark, if that's what
> you need.
>
> The pos for Spark is the concise and IMO more intuitive syntax, especially
> if you compare it with Storm's Java API.
>
> I admit I might be a bit biased towards Storm tho as I'm more familiar
> with it.
>
> Also, you can do some processing with Kinesis. If all you need to do is
> straight forward transformation and you are reading from Kinesis to begin
> with, it might be an easier option to just do the transformation in Kinesis.
>

> On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 7:15 AM, Sabarish Sasidharan <
> sabarish.sasidha...@manthan.com> wrote:
>
>> Whatever you write in bolts would be the logic you want to apply on your
>> events. In Spark, that logic would be coded in map() or similar such
>> transformations and/or actions. Spark doesn't enforce a structure for
>> capturing your processing logic like Storm does.
>>
>> Regards
>> Sab
>> Probably overloading the question a bit.
>>
>> In Storm, Bolts have the functionality of getting triggered on events. Is
>> that kind of functionality possible with Spark streaming? During each phase
>> of the data processing, the transformed data is stored to the database and
>> this transformed data should then be sent to a new pipeline for further
>> processing
>>
>> How can this be achieved using Spark?
>>

>> On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 10:10 AM, Spark Enthusiast <
>> sparkenthusi...@yahoo.in> wrote:
>>
>>> I have a use-case where a stream of Incoming events have to be
>>> aggregated and joined to create Complex events. The aggregation will have
>>> to happen at an interval of 1 minute (or less).
>>>
>>> The pipeline is :
>>>                                   send events
>>>                enrich event
>>> Upstream services -------------------> KAFKA ---------> event Stream
>>> Processor ------------> Complex Event Processor ------------> Elastic
>>> Search.
>>>
>>> From what I understand, Storm will make a very good ESP and Spark
>>> Streaming will make a good CEP.
>>>
>>> But, we are also evaluating Storm with Trident.
>>>
>>> How does Spark Streaming compare with Storm with Trident?
>>>
>>> Sridhar Chellappa
>>>

>>>   On Wednesday, 17 June 2015 10:02 AM, ayan guha <guha.a...@gmail.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>

>>> I have a similar scenario where we need to bring data from kinesis to
>>> hbase. Data volecity is 20k per 10 mins. Little manipulation of data will
>>> be required but that's regardless of the tool so we will be writing that
>>> piece in Java pojo.
>>> All env is on aws. Hbase is on a long running EMR and kinesis on a
>>> Best