Hi Bryan,

I would choose a language based on the requirements. It does not make sense
if you have a lot of dependencies that are java-based components and
interoperability between java and scala is not always obvious.

I agree with the above comments that Java is much more verbose than Scala
in many cases if not all. However, I personally don't find the verbosity is
a key factor in choosing a language. For the sake of argument, will you be
discouraged if you need to write 3 lines of Java for 1 line of scala? I
really don't care the number of lines as long as I can finish the task
within a period of time.

I believe, correct me if I'm wrong please, all spark functionalities you
can find in Scala are also available in Java that includes the mllib,
sparksql, streaming, etc. So you won't miss any features of spark by using
Java.

It seems the questions should be
- what language do the developers are comfortable with?
- what are the components in the system that will constraint the choice of
the language?

Best Regards,

Jerry