Java 8 lambdas are broken to the point of near-uselessness (because of
checked exceptions and inability to close over non-final references).  I
wouldn't use them as a deciding factor in language choice.

Any competent developer should be able to write reasonable java-in-scala
after a week and reading a copy of "Scala for the Impatient"