Thanks for your help.
You were correct about the memory settings. Previously I had following
config:

--executor-memory 8g --conf spark.executor.cores=1

Which was really conflicting, as in spark-env.sh I had:

export SPARK_WORKER_CORES=4
export SPARK_WORKER_MEMORY=8192m

So the memory budget per worker was not enough to launch several executors.
By switching to:

--executor-memory 2g --conf spark.executor.cores=1

Now I can see that on each machine I have one worker, with 4 executors.

Thanks again for your help.