Nick's symptoms sound identical to mine.  I should mention that I just
pulled the latest version from github and it seems to be working there.  To
reproduce:

   1. Download spark 1.5.2 from http://spark.apache.org/downloads.html
   2. build/mvn -Pyarn -Phadoop-2.6 -Dhadoop.version=2.6.0 -DskipTests
   clean package
   3. build/mvn -Pkinesis-asl -DskipTests clean package
   4. Then run simultaneously:
   1. bin/run-example streaming.KinesisWordCountASL [Kinesis app name]
      [Kinesis stream name] [endpoint URL]
      2.   bin/run-example streaming.KinesisWordProducerASL [Kinesis stream
      name] [endpoint URL] 100 10