to narrow down,you can try below
1) is the job going to same node everytime( when you execute job multiple
times)?. enable property spark.speculation, keep thread.sleep for 2 mins
and see if the job is going to a different worker from the executor posted
on initially. ( trying to find, there are no connection or setup related
issue)
2) whats your spark.executor.memory. try decreasing executor memory to a
value less than data size and if that helps in distributing.
3 While launching the cluster, play around with with number of slaves -
start with 1
./spark-ec2 -k <keypair> -i <key-file> -s <num-slaves> launch <cluster-name>