No you don't have to run Mesos in docker containers to run Spark in docker
containers.

Once you have Mesos cluster running you can then specfiy the Spark
configurations in your Spark job (i.e:
spark.mesos.executor.docker.image=mesosphere/spark:1.6)
and Mesos will automatically launch docker containers for you.

Tim