Hello;

I’m working on spark with very large memory systems (2TB+) and notice that
Spark spills to disk in shuffle.  Is there a way to force spark to stay in
memory when doing shuffle operations?   The goal is to keep the shuffle data
either in the heap or in off-heap memory (in 1.6.x) and never touch the IO
subsystem.  I am willing to have the job fail if it runs out of RAM.

spark.shuffle.spill true  is deprecated in 1.6 and does not work in Tungsten
sort in 1.5.x

"WARN UnsafeShuffleManager: spark.shuffle.spill was set to false, but this is
ignored by the tungsten-sort shuffle manager; its optimized shuffles will
continue to spill to disk when necessary.”

If this is impossible via configuration changes what code changes would be
needed to accomplish this?