I totally disagree that it’s not a problem.

- Network fetch throughput on 40G Ethernet exceeds the throughput of NVME
drives.
- What Spark is depending on is Linux’s IO cache as an effective buffer pool
This is fine for small jobs but not for jobs with datasets in the TB/node range.
- On larger jobs flushing the cache causes Linux to block.
- On a modern 56-hyperthread 2-socket host the latency caused by multiple
executors writing out to disk increases greatly.

I thought the whole point of Spark was in-memory computing?  It’s in fact
in-memory for some things but  use spark.local.dir as a buffer pool of others.

Hence, the performance of  Spark is gated by the performance of
spark.local.dir, even on large memory systems.

"Currently it is not possible to not write shuffle files to disk.”

What changes >would< make it possible?

The only one that seems possible is to clone the shuffle service and make it
in-memory.