One thing I've noticed about Flink in my following of the project has been
that it has established, in a few cases, some novel ideas and improvements
over Spark. The problem with it, however, is that both the development team
and the community around it are very small and many of those novel
improvements have been rolled directly into Spark in subsequent versions. I
was considering changing over my architecture to Flink at one point to get
better, more real-time CEP streaming support, but in the end I decided to
stick with Spark and just watch Flink continue to pressure it into
improvement.