> On Jun 8, 2016, at 3:35 PM, Eugene Koifman <ekoif...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>
> if you split “create table test.dummy as select * from oraclehadoop.dummy;”
> into create table statement, followed by insert into test.dummy as select…
> you should see the behavior you expect with Hive.
> Drop statement will block while insert is running.
>
> Eugene

OK, assuming true…

Then the ddl statement is blocked because Hive sees the table in use.

If you can confirm this to be the case, and if you can confirm the same for
spark and then you can drop the table while spark is running, then you would
have a bug since Spark in the hive context doesn’t set any locks or improperly
sets locks.

I would have to ask which version of hive did you build spark against?
That could be another factor.

HTH

-Mike