Thanks Jeff and Holden,

A little more context here probably helps. I am working on implementing the
idea from this article to make reads from S3 faster:
http://tech.kinja.com/how-not-to-pull-from-s3-using-apache-spark-1704509219
(although my name is Pedro, I am not the author of the article). The reason
for wrapping SparkContext is so that the code change is from sc.textFile to
sc.s3TextFile in addition to configuring AWS keys correctly (seeing if we
can open source our library, but depends on company). Overall, its a very
light wrapper and perhaps calling it a context is not quite the right name
because of that.

At the end of the day I make a sc.parallelize call and return an
RDD[String] as described in that blog post. I found a post from Py4J
mailing list that reminded my that the JVM gateway needs the jars in
spark.driver/executor.extraClassPath in addition to the spark.jars option.
With that, I can see the classes now. Looks like I need to do as you
suggest and wrap it using Java in order to go the last mile to calling the
method/constructor. I don't know yet how to get the RDD back to pyspark
though so any pointers on that would be great.

Thanks for the tip on code Holden, I will take a look to see if that can
give me some insight on how to write the Python code part.

Thanks!
Pedro