Quick update, I was able to get most of the plumbing to work thanks to the
code Holden posted and browsing more source code.

I am running into this error which makes me think that maybe I shouldn't be
leaving the default python RDD serializer/pickler in place and do something
else https://github.com/apache/spark/blob/v1.6.2/python/pyspark/rdd.py#L182:
_pickle.UnpicklingError: A load persistent id instruction was encountered,
but no persistent_load function was specified.