Hi,

I need some feedback on the performance of the Spark Thrift Server (STS)

As far I can ascertain one can start STS passing the usual spark parameters

${SPARK_HOME}/sbin/start-thriftserver.sh \
                --master spark://50.140.197.217:7077 \
                --hiveconf hive.server2.thrift.port=10055 \
                --packages <PACKAGES> \
                --driver-memory 2G \
                --num-executors 2 \
                --executor-memory 2G \
                --conf "spark.scheduler.mode=FAIR" \
                --conf "spark.executor.extraJavaOptions=-XX:+PrintGCDetails
-XX:+PrintGCTimeStamps" \
                --jars <JAR_LIST> \
                --conf "spark.ui.port=12345"

  And accessing it via beeline JDBC client

beeline -u jdbc:hive2://rhes564:10055 -n hduser -p

Now the questions I have

   1. What is the limit on the number of users accessing the thrift server.
   2. Clearly the thrift server can start with resource configuration. In a
   simple way does STS act as a gateway to Spark (meaning Spark apps can use
   their own resources) or one is limited to resource that STS offers?
   3. Can one start multiple thrift servers

As far as I can see STS is equivalent to Spark SQL accessing Hive DW.
Indeed this is what it says:

Connecting to jdbc:hive2://rhes564:10055
Connected to: Spark SQL (version 1.6.1)
Driver: Spark Project Core (version 1.6.1)
Transaction isolation: TRANSACTION_REPEATABLE_READ
Beeline version 1.6.1 by Apache Hive
0: jdbc:hive2://rhes564:10055>

Thanks

Dr Mich Talebzadeh