I think both are very similar, but with slightly different goals. While they
work transparently for each Hadoop application you need to enable specific
support in the application for predicate push down.
In the end you have to check which application you are using and do some tests
(with correct predicate push down configuration). Keep in mind that both
formats work best if they are sorted on filter columns (which is your
responsibility) and if their optimatizations are correctly configured (min max
index, bloom filter, compression etc) .

If you need to ingest sensor data you may want to store it first in hbase and
then batch process it in large files in Orc or parquet format.