I just recently tried again, the port 4040 is not used. And even if it
were, I think the log would reflect that trying to use the following port
(4041) as you mentioned.

This is what the driver log says:

16/08/01 13:55:56 INFO Utils: Successfully started service 'SparkUI'
on port 4040.
16/08/01 13:55:56 INFO SparkUI: Started SparkUI at http://hostname:4040

If I go to {hostname}:
~$ jps
6548 CoarseGrainedExecutorBackend
19286 Worker
6843 Jps
19182 Master

~$ netstat -nltp
Active Internet connections (only servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State
    PID/Program name
tcp6       0      0 192.168.22.245:43037    :::*                    LISTEN
     6548/java
tcp6       0      0 192.168.22.245:56929    :::*                    LISTEN
     19286/java
tcp6       0      0 192.168.22.245:7077     :::*                    LISTEN
     19182/java
tcp6       0      0 :::33296                :::*                    LISTEN
     6548/java
tcp6       0      0 :::8080                 :::*                    LISTEN
     19182/java
tcp6       0      0 :::8081                 :::*                    LISTEN
     19286/java
tcp6       0      0 192.168.22.245:6066     :::*                    LISTEN
     19182/java

~$ netstat -nltap | grep 4040

I'm really lost here and don't know much about spark yet, but shouldn't
there be a DriverWrapper process which holds the bind on port 4040?