I doubt it's GC as you mentioned that the pause is several minutes. Since
it's reproducible in local mode, can you run the spark application locally
and once your job is complete (and application appears paused), can you
take 5 thread dumps (using jstack or jcmd on the local spark JVM process)
with 1 second delay between each dump and attach them? I can take a look.

Thanks,
Aniket