I think it differs as it starts streaming data through its own port as soon
as the first block is landed. so the granularity is a block.

however, think of it as oracle golden gate replication or sap replication
for databases. the only difference is that if the corruption in the block
with hdfs it will be freplicated much like srdf.

whereas with oracle or sap it is log based replication which stops when it
encounters corruption.

replication depends on the block. so can replicate hive metadata and
fsimage etc. but cannot replicate hbase memstore if hbase crashes.

so that is the gist of it. streaming replication as opposed to snapshot.

sounds familiar. think of it as log shipping in oracle old days versus
goldengate etc.

hth

Dr Mich Talebzadeh

LinkedIn *