This a good question. I really like using Kafka as a centralized source for
streaming data in an organization and, with Spark 2.2, we have full support
for reading and writing data to/from Kafka in both streaming and batch
<https://databricks.com/blog/2017/04/26/processing-data-in-apache-kafka-with-structured-streaming-in-apache-spark-2-2.html>.
I'll focus here on what I think the advantages are of Structured Streaming
over Kafka Streams (a stream processing library that reads from Kafka).

 - *High level productive APIs* - Streaming queries in Spark can be
expressed using DataFrames, Datasets or even plain SQL.  Streaming
DataFrames/SQL are supported in Scala, Java, Python and even R.  This means
that for common operations like filtering, joining, aggregating, you can
use built-in operations.  For complicated custom logic you can use UDFs and
lambda functions. In contrast, Kafka Streams mostly requires you to express
your transformations using lambda functions.
 - *High Performance* - Since it is built on Spark SQL, streaming queries
take advantage of the Catalyst optimizer and the Tungsten execution engine.
This design leads to huge performance wins
<https://databricks.com/blog/2017/06/06/simple-super-fast-streaming-engine-apache-spark.html>,
which means you need less hardware to accomplish the same job.
 - *Ecosystem* - Spark has connectors for working with all kinds of data
stored in a variety of systems.  This means you can join a stream with data
encoded in parquet and stored in S3/HDFS.  Perhaps more importantly, it
also means that if you decide that you don't want to manage a Kafka cluster
anymore and would rather use Kinesis, you can do that too.  We recently
moved a bunch of our pipelines from Kafka to Kinesis and had to only change
a few lines of code! I think its likely that in the future Spark will also
have connectors for Google's PubSub and Azure's streaming offerings.

Regarding latency, there has been a lot of discussion about the inherent
latencies of micro-batch.  Fortunately, we were very careful to leave
batching out of the user facing API, and as we demo'ed last week, this
makes it possible for the Spark Streaming to achieve sub-millisecond
latencies <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAZ5XUz32yM>.  Watch SPARK-20928
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-20928> for more on this effort
to eliminate micro-batch from Spark's execution model.

At the far other end of the latency spectrum...  For those with jobs that
run in the cloud on data that arrives sporadically, you can run streaming
jobs that only execute every few hours or every few days, shutting the
cluster down in between.  This architecture can result in a huge cost
savings for some applications
<https://databricks.com/blog/2017/05/22/running-streaming-jobs-day-10x-cost-savings.html>
.

Michael