Spark uses Maven as the primary build, but SBT works as well. It reads the
Maven build to some extent.

Zinc incremental compilation works with Maven (with the Scala plugin for
Maven).

Myself, I prefer Maven, for some of the reasons it is the main build in
Spark: declarative builds end up being a good thing. You want builds very
standard. I think the flexibility of writing code to express your build
just gives a lot of rope to hang yourself with, and recalls the old days of
Ant builds, where no two builds you'd encounter looked alike when doing the
same thing.

If by cross publishing you mean handling different scala versions, yeah SBT
is more aware of that. The Spark Maven build manages to handle that with
some hacking.