From: Lian Jiang <jiangok2...@gmail.com>
Date: Sunday, April 5, 2020 at 3:28 AM
To: user <user@spark.apache.org>
Subject: pandas_udf is very slow

Hi,

I am using pandas udf in pyspark 2.4.3 on EMR 5.21.0. pandas udf is favored
over non pandas udf per
https://www.twosigma.com/wp-content/uploads/Jin_-_Improving_Python__Spark_Performance_-_Spark_Summit_West.pdf.

My data has about 250M records and the pandas udf code is like:

def pd_udf_func(data):
    return pd.DataFrame(["id"])

pd_udf = pandas_udf(
            pd_udf_func,
            returnType=("id int"),
            functionType=PandasUDFType.GROUPED_MAP
        )
df3 = df.groupBy("id").apply(pd_udf)
df3.explain()
"""
== Physical Plan ==
FlatMapGroupsInPandas [id#9L], pd_udf_func(id#9L, txt#10), [id#30]
+- *(2) Sort [id#9L ASC NULLS FIRST], false, 0
   +- Exchange hashpartitioning(id#9L, 200)
      +- *(1) Project [id#9L, id#9L, txt#10]
         +- Scan ExistingRDD[id#9L,txt#10]
"""

As you can see, this pandas udf does nothing but returning a row having a
pandas dataframe having None values. In reality, this pandas udf has
complicated logic (e.g. iterate through the pandas dataframe rows and do some
calculation). This simplification is to reduce noise caused by application
specific logic. This pandas udf takes hours to run using 10 executors (14 cores
and 64G mem each). On the other hand, below non-pandas udf can finish in
minutes:

def udf_func(data_list):
    return "hello"

udf = udf(udf_func, StringType())
df2 =
df.groupBy("id").agg(F.collect_list('txt').alias('txt1')).withColumn('udfadd',
udf('txt1'))
df2.explain()
"""
== Physical Plan ==
*(1) Project [id#9L, txt1#16, pythonUDF0#24 AS udfadd#20]
+- BatchEvalPython [udf_func(txt1#16)], [id#9L, txt1#16, pythonUDF0#24]
   +- ObjectHashAggregate(keys=[id#9L], functions=[collect_list(txt#10, 0, 0)])
      +- Exchange hashpartitioning(id#9L, 200)
         +- ObjectHashAggregate(keys=[id#9L],
functions=[partial_collect_list(txt#10, 0, 0)])
            +- Scan ExistingRDD[id#9L,txt#10]
"""

The physical plans show pandas udf uses sortAggregate (slower) while non-pandas
udf uses objectHashAggregate (faster).

Below is what I have tried to improve the performance of pandas udf but none of
them worked:
1. repartition before groupby. For example, df.repartition(140,
"id").groupBy("id").apply(pd_udf). 140 is the same as
spark.sql.shuffle.partitions. I hope groupby can benefit from the repartition
but according to the execution plan the repartition seems to be ignored since
groupby will do partitioning itself.

2. although this slowness is more likely caused by pandas udf instead of
groupby, I still played with shuffle settings such as
spark.shuffle.compress=True, spark.shuffle.spill.compress=True.

3. I played with serDe settings such as
spark.serializer=org.apache.spark.serializer.KryoSerializer. Also I tried
pyarrow settings such as spark.sql.execution.arrow.enabled=True and
spark.sql.execution.arrow.maxRecordsPerBatch=100000

4. I tried to replace the solution of "groupby + pandas udf " with
combineByKey, reduceByKey, repartition + mapPartition. But it is not easy since
the pandas udf has complicated logic.

My questions:

1. why pandas udf is so slow?
2. is there a way to improve the performance of pandas_udf?
3. in case it is a known issue of pandas udf, what other remedy I can use? I
guess I need to think harder on combineByKey, reduceByKey, repartition +
mapPartition. But want to know if I missed anything obvious.

Any clue is highly appreciated.

Thanks
Leon