Thanks for active discussion and sharing your knowledge :-)

1.Cluster is a managed hadoop cluster on Azure in the cloud. It has hbase, and
spark, and hdfs shared .
2.Hbase is on the cluster, so not standalone. It comes from an enterprise-level
template from a commercial vendor, so assuming this is correctly installed.
3.I know that woudl be best to have a spark cluster to do the processing and
then write to a separate hbase cluster.. but alas :-( somehow we found this to
be buggy so we have it all on one cluster.
4. S3: I am not using it, but people in the thread started suggesting potential
solutions involving s3. It is an azure system, so hbase is stored on adls. In
fact the nature of my application (geospatial stuff) requires me to use geomesa
libs, which only allows directly writing from spark to hbase. So I can not
write to some other format (the geomesa API is not designed for that-it only
writes directly to hbase using the predetermined key/values).

Forgot to mention: I do unpersist my df that was cached.

Nevertheless I think I understand the problem now, this discussion is still
interesting!
So the root cause is : the hbase region server has memory assigned to it (like
20GB). I see when I start writing from spark to hbase, not much of this is
used. I have loops of processing 1 day in spark. For each loop, the
regionserver heap is filled a bit more. Since I also overcommitted memory in my
cluster (have used in the setup more than really is available), tfter several
loops it starts to use more and more of the 20GB and eventually the overall
cluster starts to  hit the memory that is available on the workers. The
solution is to lower the hbase regionserver heap memory, so Im not
overcommitted anymore. In fact, high regionserver memory is more important when
I read my data, since then it helps a lot to cache data and to have faster
reads. For writing it is not important to have such a high value.

Thanks,
Joris

On 7 Apr 2022, at 09:26, Mich Talebzadeh