Brandie,

(Marking this [OT] as it's not really a Tomcat question.)

On 3/11/24 12:34, Brandie Nickey wrote:
I have a COTS webapp using Tomcat 8.0.43 and Java 1.8.0_121.  I have
been trying to find out where to configure outbound smtp messages to
use only TLS1.2.  I've found plenty of info on the https using TLS1.2
and have configured that just fine in server.xml file and in the Java
tab of the tomcatw.exe file, but that doesn't seem to be applying to
the emails outgoing from the webapp.   Anyone have any ideas? (Also
upgrading is not an option as this tomcat/java combo is the only one
supported by the vendor for our webapp version).

Assuming that you are using JavaMail for your email, I assembled a whole
lot of properties that can be fed to JavaMail when making SMTP
connections and documented them here:

https://github.com/ChristopherSchultz/java-email/blob/main/src/main/resources/mail.properties

It's been a very long time since I looked at that code, but if you look at the code for Mailer.java in that project, you should be able to see how the properties are used to establish a Transport (aka connection) and Session.

Most of the properties are passed-through to Session.getDefaultInstance(Properties).

-chris