I was thinking it would be something that would be left on in a live
system. We can set these parameters, so it would be useful to know if we
were hitting the set limits.

I'm not sure I fully grasp how this additional logging presents a
significant incremental DOS risk. I mean, if an attacker is flooding you
with enough traffic or connections where this becomes an issue, aren't you
already logging various aspects of the attempts anyway (e.g., access logs,
etc)? At that point aren't your logs already being filled anyway?