On Thu, 13 May 2004, David Swearingen wrote:

> I'm trying to get Cocoon CLI to work.  I've scoured all the documents on this, but
> can't figure out how cli knows where to find my sitemap.  I have cocoon up and
> running just fine under Tomcat as a web application.
>
> What I need is a very basic command line -- which commands are REQUIRED to simply
> process a request through the sitemap and output to a file?  I'd rather just put all
> the required parameters on the command line rather than have to build an xconf file.
>  It seems to me that the minimum parameters needed if I DON'T reference an xconf
> file are:
>
> -c contextdir (unless I use default)
> -d destination
>
> Part of my confusion in part stems from the fact that I have my sitemap under my
> Tomcat folder (c:\jakarta-tomcat-4.1.30) but the docs say to run cocoon.bat residing
> in my cocoon install directory, c:\cocoon-2.1.4. So, should my 'contextdir' be under
> the jakarta path or the cocoon path?  What is the purpose of the contextdir?  That's
> not explained in the docs.
>
> Finally, it's not clear to me what the difference is between -x and -C.
>
> The page that ostensibly explains all this is
> http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/userdocs/offline/cli.html
>
> Thanks,
> David

Hi David,

the usage of "cocoon cli -c ... -d ... myuri.html" will only works inside
the directory of cocoon source distribution.
You dont need (it is not possible) point to your sitemap.xmap, the
main-sitemap should be in the contextdir, so you have to point to the
right contextdir.
If you want to use your deployed webapp under tomcat, you have 3 options
to do this.

1.) you have the same cocoon-version as source package somewhere on the
filesystem (c:\cocoon-2.1.4?) and it is build. You can use the cocoon.bat
script there. Go to
this folder and try cocoon -c c:\jakarta-tomact-4.1.30\webapps\cocoon -d
c:\myoutput mystarting-uri.html

2.) You can use "java org.apache.cocoon.Main -c ... -d .... my....html",
but you have to put all libs from the webapp (WEB-INF\libs) to the classpath
(by a script).

3.) You can use the ant-task (see the user-doc), where ant will add all
libs to the classpath/classloader.

The difference between -x and -C:

-C: point to the cocoon.xconf, where the cocoon-components are confiured

-x: point to a CLI-configuration-file, where you have setup all options
and uris for the Cocoon-CLI, so you dont need any switches then.

If you run in a ClassNotFound exception you have to add the
servlet_2_2.jar form c:\cocoon-2.1.4\lib\optional to the
build\webapp\WEB-INF\lib if you use option 1)

Yes, the "-c" and the "-d" switch are only required.

I hope it helps.

Best Regards,

Simon