On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 9:21 PM, Cameron Simpson <c...@cskk.id.au> wrote:
> On 12Feb2018 21:08, bruce <badoug...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm testing digital ocean creating droplets/snapshots/etc..
>>
>> I've create droplets, and from them - snapshots which have allowed me
>> to regenerate additional droplets. Droplets are VM/copies of servers..
>> Snapshots are compressed images.
>>
>> Recently, I decided to try to "replicate" a droplet of size X to a
>> smaller size. For the most part, the process works. I have a smaller
>> working droplet that I can ping/ssh into.
>>
>> The issue I'm now facing, is that generating a snapshot, followed by
>> regenerating a new droplet, seems to fail.
>>
>> The resulting new droplet has an IP, but pinging/ssh'ing into it
>> fails/hangs.
>>
>> I'm posting to see if anyone has any clue as to what might be
>> happening. I suspect that in my rsync process xfering files from the
>> initial droplet to the new droplet (used for the snapshot) that I may
>> have screwed up some files that are used for the snapshot to droplet
>> process.
>

> Just wondering: if you're making droplets from snapshots, why do you need to
> rsync any files? You're effectively cloning the previous droplet, so all the
> files should already be there.

Hey Cameron.

DO permits creating droplets of different configurations (cpu/mem/drive)

In my case the initial droplet (droplet1) has a larger hard drive (and
a higher cost)
I've got a bunch of stuff on it, but the drive is only about 20G

I've tested creating a smaller droplet (call it droplet2) by doing all
the rsync/copying to create essentially the same server as droplet1.

This works.. I can access it via ssh/ping with no issues.

My overall process requires me to run multiple copies of droplet2 in
parallel which can be accomplished by creating a snapshot of droplet2
and then spinning up multiple instances. I've done this 1000s of times
with basic droplets.. but never one where I've rsyn/copied data from
one server to another..

I'm thinking that I've screwed up some "dir/files" that are unique to
a droplet and used for the snapshot process.. I can't find any data on
how the "snapshot/vm" process really is implemented within
digitalocean. My last hope is to iteratively rsync, testing out the
snapshot/droplet process until i figure out the real issues..

thanks!