Tim:
>> And you can say it about anything.  e.g. The commercial phone
>> companies don't exist for people to be able to communicate (what
>> their customers consider their primary purpose to be).  They're
>> there to make money and it really doesn't care how well the
>> communications aspect of it works.

ToddAndMargo:
> "Capitalism" is an insult term made up by Marxists to describe the
> Free Market, which is "the free and open exchange of goods and
> services between consenting parties".  Under the Free Market, to meet
> your own needs, you must meet the the needs of your customers.

It's just what it's called, whether or not someone considers it to be
an insult.  Communism is an insult term, from the Yanks perspective,
who're paranoidly afraid of it.

> Your description of communications customers only caring about money
> falls apart.  If the service stinks, folks go elsewhere.  As a
> small businessman, I can tell you that if I do not meet the needs
> of my customers, I STARVE.  I live it and breath it.  I am only
> rewarded for meeting my customers needs.

On an small scale, you're kept in check.  Large scale, no.  We have to
legislate to stop businesses being huge crooks.  Market forces, alone,
do not keep them in check.

We have a prime example in this country of Telstra (a phone company).
They bugger everyone up, customers and systems, with the you'll have to
put up with it, or go to one of the small number of highly similar
competitors.  So, no, market forces don't keep them in check.  We had a
seriously out of date analogue system for decades, poor pricing schemes
and features, poor complaint handling, etc.  We have the NBN broadband
disaster because Telstra deliberately refused to keep their network
updated with modern standards, because they didn't want to *have* to
share it with competitors.  It was a screw everyone approach, because
they weren't going to be allowed to be monopoly.  Year in, year out,
it's been proved that all their care about is their market worth, not
the customers that pay them.

> Red Hat has every right to sell itself to IBM, as Lands' End had
> every right to sell itself to Sears.  And I have every right to look
> elsewhere for someone else that will meet my needs.

I'm not saying they don't have the "right."  Just that the system is
gross.

--

uname -rsvp
Linux 3.10.0-862.14.4.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Sep 26 15:12:11 UTC 2018 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.