On 10/29/18 10:19 PM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:

On 10/29/2018 09:14 PM, ToddAndMargo via users wrote:
On 10/29/18 8:31 PM, Richard England wrote:
On 10/29/18 6:30 PM, Fred Smith wrote:
On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 04:26:46PM -0700, ToddAndMargo via users wrote:
On 10/29/18 11:41 AM, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
On Mon, 29 Oct 2018 10:02:32 -0700 ToddAndMargo via users <users@lists.fedoraproject.org> wrote:

On 10/29/18 8:12 AM, Eddie O'Connor wrote:
I feel as though I've been kicked in the back of the neck.....by Bruce
Lee! I don't presume to know the first thing about corporations,
mergers, and long term financials,.... And while Red Hat was a
corporation per se.....I've always loved Fedora for being different, for being the odd distro that was backed by a major corporation ....but was still able to support itself independently. Now? I'm just "leery". I don't know what plans IBM has for their new found "toy".....& I'd rather
not be surprised as others have said. So the question is:
Are there any .rpm-based distros that would make a good replacement for
Fedora?....

Heartbroken in the world of Open Source.

EGO II
Wonderfully stated.  The announcement took my breath away.  I hope
Fedora gets spun off.
Unlike the IBM of today, Redhat was not really your average capitalist enterprise so they supported Fedora. They had a long view which is not permitted by markets.....In any case, I doubt that Fedora or OSS is an example of any kind of capitalism. A good place to start looking for that would be Somalia.

Uhhhh.  Red Hat uses Fedora as a testing ground for RHEL. RHEL is
basically a defunct, bug frozen version of Fedora.  Red Hat gets
a ton of benefit from Fedora.

The big question is how will IBM look at it.  RHEL is pretty much
unusable for newer software as RHEL is so bug riddled and out of
date.
Don't know why you think RHEL is  bug riddled. it's stable and
will run for years.

Some of us (many businesses) don't want a new version of Linux every six
months, they want systems that will be stable and will run for years
with nothing more than the occasional yum update and more occasional
reboot. People with many computers can't spend time reinstalling and
re-configuring all of them once or twice every year. And I don't want
to do that with my  home systems either. I want something I can use
for 2 or 3 years, at least, before enduring the reinstall pain again.

They may use what appears to be an old kernel, but RH does backports
of many modern features and bug fixes.

+1

Why are you using Fedora?

ToddAndMargo:

Using/watching what Fedora is doing is a good way to prepare for what might be coming in RHEL/Centos

Paul

Hi Paul,

Back when I was using RHEL and Clones, I use to say "What goes
on in Fedora, eventually winds up in RHEL."

:-)

-T