On 10/30/18 4:16 PM, ToddAndMargo via users wrote:
> On 10/30/18 4:07 PM, ToddAndMargo via users wrote:
>
>> What I find different supporting Linux and OSx (weird for
>> the sake of weirdness) over Windows is that with Linux and OSx
>> I am helping set up things and assisting with program usage.
>
> Tip on OSx, carry your own mouse and a Live Fedora Stick.
> Press the flower key when booting a live stick.
>
> The artsy-fartsy mouse that ships with Macs drives
> me nuts.  Weird for the sake of weirdness.
>
> Gnome is on the weird side, but Apple hardware
> takes the cake.

Huh? They're just configuration-restricted PC-style laptops. There's
nothing magical about the hardware anymore. There's no "IWM" chip in
them. They're just laptops, which is why Linux will run on them. One
of the strengths of Linux is it's pretty hardware-agnostic. This also
can be a shortcoming, too, as hardware vendors often won't share data
needed to build drivers, so those are often reverse engineered and may
not have all the "features" one might want.

> And I am constantly having to explain
> to folks how to use OSx's weird task bar at the top.

Well, yeah, but as you said, Gnome's weird. KDE is weird if you're
used to Gnome or Xfce. Xfce is weird if you're used to something else.
Every desktop is "different" and takes getting used to. And remember,
under that cute, glitzy desktop, OSX is simply BSD Unix. (Shhhh! Don't
tell anyone! It's a secret!)